Thursday, June 15, 2006

More accurate and louder?

I added a couple of more observations about my new Garmin Forerunner 305 versus my Forerunner 205, which is now up for sale on eBay. I hope I can recoup most of what I paid for the 205, but I'm resigned to the fact that I'll probably lose $70-100 on it when all is said and done. I was lucky enough to get a 205 when they first came out at the end of February. I paid full price and had it shipped next day air since I'm an impatient geek. Oh well, that's the price you pay for being an early adopter.

After two runs with the 305, it seems to be slightly more accurate than my 205. While a good GPS Accuracy signal on the 205 was in the 18-30 foot range with 15 feet being the lowest I've ever seen it go, the 305 so far has regulary been in the 15-25 foot range and it has gone all the way down to 12 feet. Also the 305's audible beeps are louder than on the 205. Lastly, the HRM performance has been pretty steady. I haven't experienced any heart rate spikes, which use to occur with regularity on my Polar s610.

This morning I ran a little over 9 miles at a general aerobic clip. Didn't feel that great, but it wasn't reflected too much on the HRM. Averaged in the 70-75% range of max HR using the Karvonen heart rate reserve method. I think I'll try to ascertain my max heart rate tomorrow by either doing something on the track or some hill repeats....

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,