Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Looking Left, Turning Right

Most of my training is on the roads and I usually run against traffic on the left side so I can see if someone is about to hit me with their car. One of my pet peeves is drivers turning right from a side street, who don't even look to the right before turning.

It happens all the time. I'm approaching a side street and a car does a rolling stop past a stop sign. The driver then only looks to his/her left before making the right turn. Luckily for me, I'm usually paying attention and I will make a slight detour and go BEHIND the car.

I won't cross in front of a car unless I establish eye contact with the driver, and even then you never know if the driver sees you. I guess it's one of the risks we take running the roads.

This morning I decided to put in a "marathon pace " (MP) effort over 5.1 miles. My MP is kind of an arbitrary number, because I haven't completed a marathon yet. I aimed for something in the 6:40-6:50 minutes per mile range as I would like to run under 3 hours for a marathon some day.

I ended up running the 5.1 mile section a bit faster in 33:30. The run felt pretty steady, but my legs were a bit heavy. The course is rolling and you can make up a lot of time on the 4th mile so it's hard to say if I was crossing over to half marathon or lactate pace range. It's all very confusing trying to figure these paces out.