Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Getting There

Felt a little better this morning during my run. Still a bit tired, but the legs had a little more bounce. I'm trying to get to bed earlier and have gotten around 7 hours of sleep the last few nights, which is a lot for me.
I usually get at most 6.5 hours and can survive a day or so on 6 or less before self-destructing.

That was one of the problems during the past few weeks. I was staying up late reading and still getting up early to run, which ended up being a bad combination.

For today's run I stayed on the flats and tried to avoid any hills, except for the .75 mile climb to my house at the end. I ran over to St. Mary's College so I could finally use my Garmin Forerunner 205 to measure the distance around the soccer/rugby field.

I like to run on the grass around the playing fields because it's a soft surface and a nice alternative to the track for doing workouts where exact time is not of the utmost importance. A lap around the perimeter of the fields measured out to roughly .42 miles, and I got in 8 relatively easy laps before heading for home.

For the most part I was on auto pilot trying to stay relaxed and watch out for gopher holes. I did end up with a pair of dew-laden shoes that squished all the way home.

On a related note, I'm still contemplating whether to upgrade from my Forerunner 205 to the 305 with a heart rate monitor. I wouldn't use the HRM all the time, but I would like to know that I'm not running my recovery days too hard. I noticed Costco.com has a great deal on the 305 so I might have to take the plunge and then sell the 205 on eBay. We'll see....

Technorati Tags: , , , ,