Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Is Red the New Black?

As I wrote the other day, I now do all my training in racing flats. I currently rotate between the Mizuno Wave Revolver 2s and the New Balance RC750s.

I like both shoes for different reasons and I'm glad I found flats that seem to work for me. Since turning to flats, I've also been getting more mileage out of my shoes, roughly 400-450 miles, so I have that going for me as well.

One problem. The Revolver 2 model has been discontinued by Mizuno, and I'm running in my last pair of four that I stockpiled.

As shoe companies are wont to do, they
are always trying to tweak and update their shoe designs to make "improvements" and hopefuly drive more sales.

Well, I got my feet on a pair of the new Mizuno Wave Revolver 3 and the only major update is the color it seems. While the 2s were mostly white with orange and blue trim, the 3s are bright honking red with silver trim.

Not sure how I feel about this because they really stand out. The picture above really doesn't do it justice. I guess I'll find how much they stand out when I start sporting them around my small town. Maybe I'll take them for a muddy trail run right away to get them dirty and dull the bright red look.

I guess the shoe companies like to experiment more with colorful racing flats because the market for them is much more limited. I've also noticed that red is the new black this year as the new Asics DS Racer VII is also mostly red and silver. I use to run in the DS Racer VI before finding the RC750 so I definitely won't be running in that update anytime soon. One pair of bright red shoes is enough for now...