Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Ultimate Running Device?

This just might be the ultimate running device. Brad Feld is a venture capitalist in Boulder, Colorado. He's also an avid marathoner attempting to run a marathon in every state by the time he turns 50. He's currently at 6 and is 40 years old.

Brad had this Treadputer specially designed so he could work while running/walking. Since he spends a lot of on board conference calls he'd rather be active at the Treadputer instead of sitting at his desk or laying on his couch. He writes:

I had high expectations for walking, but low expectations for running. It turns out that the Treadputer is highly functional when I’m running, which enables me to do some of my longer runs during the day while I’m on a call rather than having to get up at 5am to get them in before the day starts.
Check out the specs of the system:
  • IBM ThinkCenter 3.2GHz PC
  • 3 Video cards (ATI Radeons)
  • 3 19" NEC Monitors
  • A 6 monitor mounting system (we only use 3)
  • Bluetooth stereo audio headphones
  • Desk microphone
  • USB Headset (for voice calls)
  • Logitech 2.1 speakers
  • Kensington Trackball
  • Vision Fitness T9450HRT treadmill
  • Dragon Naturally Speaking (for voice recognition)
  • Cisco IP Communicator (for IP Softphone)
  • Skype (for other calls)
The Treadputer is still a work in progress, but impressive nonetheless. I wouldn't mind reviewing it, but I guess I would need to go to Boulder...