Sunday, April 30, 2006

Another Reason Why the Garmin Forerunner 205 Rocks!

Today's run is one of the main reasons why I'm so glad I replaced my Garmin Forerunner 201 with the newer and more accurate Garmin Forerunner 205.

This morning I decided to run the King Canyon trail, a forested fire road that runs alongside the Upper San Leandro Reservoir. It was on the first half of this trail that helped demonstrate the Garmin Forerunner 205's superior GPS accuracy as compared to the Forerunner 201.

Instead of turning around about halfway through as I did on earlier runs, I decided to continue to where the trail outlets near another park in my town. I rarely run the whole way because I never knew how long the full segment was since my Forerunner 201 would always lose its signal along the route.

However, today was the day to finally get an accurate measure of this trail. It was a nice sunny morning in the mid-to-upper 50s and the trail was drying out nicely. Still some muddy patches, but not as bad as the last week.

From the trailhead to when I exited it at the other park, the 205 performed perfectly. I did not see another person on the trail nor did I encounter any cattle that usually graze within the East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) watersheds. GPS accuracy was always from 18-30 ft.

The 205 measured the section of trail at 4.61 miles while SportTracks crunched the GPS waypoints and came up with 4.62 miles.

Total run was 10.65 miles and although I felt like crap most of the way, I'm glad I finally know the distance of the King Canyon trail after being in the dark for so long. Now this is the reason why I got the Garmin Forerunner 205. Next stop Redwood Park and the French Trail...