Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Ups and Downs

I live in a relatively hilly area so there are a decent amount of ups and downs in most of my routes. Plus my house is on a hill, so while all my runs start off going downhill, I can always count on a final uphill finish for the last .75 miles of every run. Not the funnest way to finish a run.

This morning I got in a decent 10.25 mile run. Here is a graph of the elevation vs distance vs pace of today's run that I pulled from SportTracks, the desktop PC app I use as my main running log.

As I've mentioned numerous times, this is a great PC app that pulls data from my Garmin Forerunner 205, and offers a boatload of features. It's also donationware so you can download a full version for free, and if you like it and feel generous, you can hand over some $$ to the developers. I kicked in $30 and I'm usually a cheap bastard :-) Unfortunately, there is no version for the neglected Mac community. Maybe if enough of you petition the developers they'll consider a port for Macs.

Anyway, I've been feeling a bit rundown of late and I'm not sure if it's due to overtraining or the residual effects of a bug I caught a couple of weeks ago. Probably a bit of both. I've been entertaining thoughts of upgrading my 205 to the Garmin Forerunner 305 with the heart rate monitor (HRM) primarily to see if I'm running my recovery runs too hard. I use to have the Polar s610 HRM and couldn't initially justify the extra cost for the 305 when I decided to purchase the 205. Plus the 205s were available earlier. Now I'm not sure. Oh well, that's to be expected if you are a running gadget geek....

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,