Monday, October 09, 2006

Half Marathon and Weekly Roundup

I ran 69 miles last week, but all the training seems to be catching up with me. Feeling sluggish and having a harder time running at pace. I've been training through my recent races and following a modified Pfitz 18/70 plan so that probably has something to do with it.

Last Sunday, I ran my first long MP effort (12miles) so most of the week was spent running easier and getting in the miles. I did a 5K pace track workout on Thursday and ran easier on Friday and Saturday as my sort of mini-taper for my 2nd ever half marathon yesterday. Here's how the week went:

  • M: 7.15m recovery run
  • T: 9.7m
  • W: 12.05m w/2.4 @ 6:50 pace
  • T: 9.8m w/6x600m at the track with 200 jog. Averaged 2:02 (around 81 for 400m)
  • F: 7.95m easy
  • S: 6.55m easy
  • S: 15.8m w/Primo's Run for Education Half Marathon in 1:24:00. Over 400 people ran but the field upfront was sparse due to the inaugural running of the Rock N Roll Half in San Jose at the same time and next week's Humboldt Half Marathon (part of the Pacific Association USATF Road Cirucit). I took 5th overall and was 2nd masters (A member of my club ran in San Jose and was 3rd masters in 1:16+!). The weather was cool and dry but the course was slower than I expected. Lots of turns in residential neighborhoods and a number of hills in the early miles. I think there was a modest net elevation increase for the course and it defintely felt that way on the long straight sections on the second half of the course. I had a hard time getting into any rhythm and generally felt so-so throughout the race. At least I didn't fall apart at the end of the race. Even though I thought I could run faster, I'll take the PB. Splits were 6:10, 6:18, 6:29, 6:13, 6:20, 6:26, 6:25, 6:35, 6:33, 6:35, 6:32, 6:24, 7:00 (1.1m)
I knew coming into the race that my recent 5K/10K times were not indicative of how I would fare over longer distances as I'm more of a speed runner than endurance one. All the marathon training has definitely helped build my strength, and this race helped me decide to aim for 6:45 pace at CIM in December and tweak it as the date gets closer.